Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BEING AN 'ELITE KIND OF GUY' IS BAD, ISN'T IT?

No. Here in Seattle there is a bar called, 'The Elite'. Back in the day it was the bar to where the 'old' guys (guys over 30) went. So my group of running buddies (all under 30) used to call 'older' guys, 'Elite guys' or 'Elite kind of guys'. In hindsight, I realize how ridiculous this kind of thinking was. That said, I'll bet many of you, in your misspent youths, also thought guys over thirty were 'old'.

While it may be true that 40 is the new 30, 30 no longer being considered 'gay death' as it was in my day, it is still the case that many in our culture devalue men of the more 'mature' set. Many young guys worry about aging and fear it will result in the end of their romantic lives. While it may have taken me many years to figure this out, I truly believe that nothing could be further from the truth.

While I never would have thought this when younger, I feel empowered by growing older. I have a patience and an appreciation for life that I greatly lacked when I was younger. I hope both of these qualities continue to increase as the years fly past. I love my gray hair (well, salt and pepper at this point, but still). Sure, I wish I was skinnier. And sure, I wish I was more successful. In some ways I am more of a 'never was' than a 'has been', as there is much in my life I hoped to achieve and did not. But, how many of us really achieve all of the goals we set for ourselves?

I don't know about other guys, but I've found myself doing a lot of 'evaluating' lately of my life, where it has been, and to where I hope it will go. Part of this evaluating, may have to do with the landmark which was my 30th high school reunion. But, perhaps only a little, as I was sort of in evaluating mode well before that august event.

Never known for having a perky attitude, at 48, I am happier than I've ever been. I turn down more sex than I ever thought someone at my age would be offered. I have good friends; I've experienced love again; I have a house I love; and, I am finding new skills and interests that would never have occurred to me as few as ten years ago.

Is life perfect? No. Will I experience personal and professional disappointments again, yes. But on the whole, is life good? Yes.

So, I'd say being an 'Elite kind of guy' isn't a bad thing, it is a good thing. A very good thing.

At least, that is what THIS DADDY thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment