Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the Plain

Living in Seattle as I do, I can confirm that the reputed 9 months of dreary rain does wears on me. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't rain EVERY day for nine months and most of the time when it is 'raining,' it is really just gray and/or drizzly.  Still, month upon month upon month does take its toll. 

This Summer has been kind of unique:  we've had great weather basically since May.  I mean, sunny, warm, clear, dry.  It's been great.  Of course, the two weeks I spent on Active Duty down in San Diego were two of the most glorious weeks of such weather up here and two of the gloomiest, muggiest, down there.  

Anyway, it has been a little rainy this last couple of days, sort of a preview of the upcoming Fall.  Oddly, for someone who wearies of the rain, I've been happy to see it.  The garden at little house at the big lake has been calling for some moisture.  Since I try to be green, I avoid watering if at all possible.

The reason I bought the little house at the big lake, despite the decrepit shape it was in and despite the fact that my ex lives only 80 feet away, was the great view of the big lake from my bedroom.  I am not 'on' the big lake, alas, but my house being located at the highest point in the street, I see above the houses and trees located between my house and the big lake.  Granted, the lesbians recently ruined part of my view.  But then, you KNOW how are those guys.   All in all, the view is great.  I can literally see the big lake while lying in bed, without even having to raise my head much above the pillow.  

A city renown for its rainy climate, Seattle and environs rarely experience thunder and lightning.  So when it happens, it is sort of a treat.  The other night such a treat occurred. 

I was awakened in the middle of the night, probably by the crazy dog with whom I share the little house.  Awake, looking up from bed, I could see across the big lake and off into the foothills, shrouded in clouds.  Behind the clouds, I could see flashes of lightning.  It was eerie and beautiful.  

I only wish I had my own, personal lad with whom to share it.As grand as was the experience, being able to hold someone I loved, sharing the beauty and the grandeur would have been the experience all the more special.  

At least, that is what THIS DADDY thinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment