Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Speaking of Dating Sites....

Okay, I admit it, I have profiles listed on Match.com; Chemistry.com; Gaydating.com; and even on OKCupid.  Results?  Zilch, zero, nada, Nichivo.  I am especially surprised at the 'matches' that each of the 'cupids' used by these sights sends me.

On Gaydating, for example, I am sent daily a list of matches.  When I check out those matches, inevitably that individual's profile states he seeks someone like: 

My Partner's Looks


  • 18 - 35
  • Native American, Asian, African/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern, Bi-Racial, Pacific Islander, Caucasian/White
  • Athletic, Average, Muscular, Slim
  • Black, Dark Brown, Light Blonde, Auburn/Red
Of the items I state in my profile, even the most casual viewer would find:

  • 50 
  • Large


Okay, so I prefer 'stocky' or 'beefy' to 'large', but still.

Anyway, it would seem clear that of the qualities my 'match' lists,  I only possess only one:  I am white. So, just how in the heck are we a 'match'.  Puzzled, I sent the following message to their customer service:

This is more a comment. Why is it I receive "New Match - Meet Username" when I clearly don't meet that individual's criteria, usually age. In the bulk of such invitations I've received, the user clearly states a preference, usually age, that I don't meet. So, it is a waste of my time to even respond. That seems like a pretty obvious criteria by which the system should be screening people. 

Their response (in part):

In response to your concern, the cupid matches are set up to find new members in your general location and age range. If there aren't any members who meet these criteria the cupid matches will send you the members who are closest to fitting the specified criteria....

I am hardly the sharpest tool in the shed, but it would seem like no matter what it is that I might seek, if I don't meet even the most basic of his stated requirements,  we can hardly be a match.

To be honest, I'd rather not get 'matches' with whom I am not a match.  Granted, that might mean I never receive any messages, but still.  I mean, for heaven's sake...I get that the 'cupid' can only know and match some of the most basic stuff which appears in a profile...it can't sort by whether or not the guy has nice feet, or whether or not my thumb is a good example of what it is my d*ck looks like...but, shouldn't it be able to tell that is I am 'large' and '50' and he seeks someone skinny, 35 or under, or vise versa?

This disconnect would seem to make the whole idea of listing what qualities we seek and what qualities we possess moot. 

At least, that is what THIS DADDY thinks.



1 comment: