Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Friday, March 8, 2013

You Know You Are Getting Old When.....

Not long ago (Sunday, April 22, 2012) in a posting entitled, "Younger Than Spring Time..."
I wrote about how and by whom I was 'imprinted' with regards to the type of guy it is to whom I am attracted.

As I wrote at the time, "John Kerr was an actor who played, " 2LT Joseph Cable, USMC " in the movie version of, "South Pacific". Tall, slender, almost slight, at an early age (7 perhaps) I know he made my 'fun parts' tingle. After seeing him wonder around shirtless and barefoot, then making love' to Liat (a beautiful, Pacific Islander girl played by, France Nuyen), I was hooked."

Well, my 'imprinter' recently passed away (John Kerr Obituary).  Maybe I am weird, but learning that Mr. Kerr had died has added to the log pile of occurrences making me more acutely aware of my mortality.  Sigh, getting old is not for weak of heart.

I never got to meet Mr. Kerr in person and, as you can read in his Wikipedia entry or his IMDB posting, he hasn't led a public life in many years. I wonder, had I been able to meet him how he would have felt at being informed of the lasting effect he had on me.  Funny isn't it, how some of the most insignificant things that we do sometimes have major impacts on others, without even knowing what we've done or even that we've made any impact at all.

As I wrote at the time, there are times that I wish I'd imprinted on someone else.  It is the orthodoxy, at least here in Seattle, that a short, stocky, hairy, older is only allowed to be attracted to others of his own type.  Well, right or wrong, for good or ill, I am stuck with an attraction to taller; lean, almost slight guys, with nice feet.  Instead of, "Damn you, John Kerr! Damn you to h*ll!," as I teasingly wrote in that earlier article, now I write seriously, "Thank you, John Kerr! Thank you all the way to heaven."  To me, you'll always be, "Younger than Spring Time."

At least, that is what, THIS DADDY thinks.

The classic 1958 Rogers & Hammerstein movie. Rights belong to MGM and 20th Century Fox and others. This video viewable everywhere except Germany.


No comments:

Post a Comment