Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Monogamy, What's That About?

Okay, so, I am one of those guys who thinks monogamy is a good thing. I think it is an important 'goal' for a serious relationship. That said, I think it is more likely to be an important (ideally long) 'stage' in a relationship, rather that a permanent 'state' of one. I've known too many guys to cheat. I've seen too many relationships fail because someone cheated. I've seen too many relationship die prematurely because the couples declared themselves monogamous after 3 weeks. Come on, are you really even a couple after 3 weeks? In my opinion, gay guys are 'bad' at relationships because we come so 'late' to them. While our straight peers are having their crushes and their flirtations and doing their 'dating' in their teens, many of us don't get to experience that. At least, not really. So, many of us tend to confuse passion and or sex for 'love'. I am the first one to say that passion must exist (or have existed at some point) for a relationship to be a romantic one rather than a friendship. That said, just because you lust after someone, doesn't mean you can or will be able to 'love' them. Does lust last? No. Do the embers of passion last? No. Relationships change over time. Having gone through this myself, I can tell you I'd much rather have you say, "Look, I love you, we have/had a great sex life, but there is just something I am not getting that I need to get. Is it okay that we come up for a plan to make that happen?", than to find out you've been cruising the internet, picking up guys and taking them home to f*ck in our bed (which is what my ex did, giving me crabs in the bargain) when I am out of town on business. I think the standard of monogamy is too tough for most guys to manage. Too many relationships place too much emphasis on monogamy and then if someone 'slips', the relationship comes apart. To me, as hard as such a discussion might be, it is better to talk about this stuff, then to 'cheat'. I think it should take a couple a while to 'date' before they make any decisions about monogamy and I think they should talk about it along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment