Subtitle:

An Opinionated Daddy's View of Life

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are

Almost exactly 31 years ago I did something that has effected all aspects of my life...I took the following oath, "I, THIS DADDY, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God. I swear That I am fully aware and fully understand the conditions under which I am enlisting."

At the time I was a callow, very religious young man. I was also a total homo. I knew it as much back then as I do now. I'd never done anything about it, I was only 17, after all, and I was hoping against hope that I'd change. In my heart of hearts I knew I wouldn't, but still, young men are, as you know, quite idealistic. I knew at the time that being gay and being in the military were, in many ways, antithetical. I've often been asked about the dichotomy of swearing that oath, yet at the same time disobeying an order, i.e. being gay. For me it boils down to this: I come from a military family and service, gay or not, for me was never in doubt. I just never thought it would last for as long as it has.

In my time, I've been both on active duty and served as a reservist. I've traveled the world, spying on the godless commies. I've tracked terrorists in the Pacific Rim. I've served with coalition partners, always impressed with their patriotism and professionalism. I've met some amazing people and risen to a position of authority, of which that 17 year old could only have dreamed. Not in the grand scheme of things, am I any big deal, but lets just say that most of the folks with whom I interact when in uniform are required to salute me and call me, 'Sir'. And what daddy doesn't like that?

As of 1201 (0001, as we call it), 20 SEP 2011, one significant aspect of my service will change: I can serve openly as a gay man. It isn't like most of my friends haven't figured it out. I mean, while I am on the masculine end of the spectrum, I've never taken a date to a function. I've never been married and nobody has ever met any of my 'significant others'. And, at my age and length of service, it isn't like I've been trying very hard to hide it. What were they gonna do if they found out, make me retire? I was ready to do that anyway. Still, I have served my entire adult life. The thought of not doing so scares me a little. I don't know how not to serve. At one point, during a security clearance investigation, I was even outed. Talk about traumatic. For a while there, it seemed like my whole military career would collapse. Thankfully, for reasons too complicated to explain here, it didn't.

Still, every career must end at some point. And, like it or not, my time is nearing. A very wise man once told me, "Don't leave until they make you leave. Because once it is over, it is over." He didn't actually mean to wait until someone threw me out. Rather, he was just saying that I'd better be damned sure I was ready to leave and to leave only on my own terms. Now, that is the case.

How much longer will I stay in? Who knows? I am so senior, much of the fun has gone out of it. As much as I like and respect many of my comrades, man are those guys and gals rednecks. That "redneckedness" can be hard to take. Now, though, I no longer have to worry about someone finding out I like boys and narking on me. Not that there aren't other reasons I might leave the service, my weight, the fact that there are very few jobs available for someone at my rank. But at least this reason is no longer valid.

Will I make a big deal about coming out, like bringing a male date to an official function and such? No, probably not. That isn't in my nature. Am I proud of the military for finally doing the right thing, absolutely. It often takes a long time, but for all its faults, the military does tend to do the right thing in the end. I am just glad they are doing it on my watch.

My God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America!

At least, that is what THIS DADDY thinks.



1 comment: